Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Renewal of a Friendship






When I was growing up I had a lot of changes happen in my life that were not so fun. My mother past away when I was eight years old and we moved shortly after that. I started a new elementary school and it was hard. I had to find new friends and I basically started a new life. I wanted to fit in and have a lot of friends. Most people do. When I got in Junior High I still hadn't found my place but I was not giving up. I had friends but they were not that great of friends. There were some girls that I just thought were so cool and I really wanted to be friends with them. One of them ended up being in my science class. Our teachers name was Melvin Barnes which was a great set up for me.

Anyhow one of the girls I wanted to be friends with ended up sitting next to me due to alphabetic seating. I thought well if I can be really funny and bring lots of candy she would for sure like me. So I began saying funny things in class and calling my teacher Melvin. The teacher was awesome and put up with it. He knew I was just needing to show off and be crazy. Anyhow I became friends and hung out with this cool chick a lot after being in that class with her. Her name is Heather (Sharples) Griffin. She was such a fun friend and always treated me really good. We had lots of fun times together. She made me feel like I was cool and always inclueded me in everything. Which is important for a girl in Junior High.

After Junior High, we did not see each other as much. We had separate things we were doing. She was a cute little cheerleader and I was a basketball, softball, and soccer player. We just kind of drifted apart but not because we did not like each other. I thought of her many times after high school and wondered what she was doing with her life.

A few months ago I found her Mom and sisters blog. I would read them to find out about her and what she had been up to hoping eventually she would do a blog. Well one day she finally did one so I told her hello. Since then we have e-mailed each other, talked on the phone, and most recently her and her cute kids and niece came to our house. Come to find out we have a ton of things in common now in our adult lives almost freakishly things and it has brought us together once again. I am not a huge fan of being friends with people from school and most I would rather avoid if I saw them at the supermarket but I was really happy to find Heather. She is great.

Okay I know this is a long blog but I have a lot to say. Yesterday Heather and her kids and Niece came over for a fun play date. We had lunch and my favorite cookies from Schmidts pastry cottage (thanks Heather). Then the kids just played while we talked. It was really cool because it was not awkward at all. We felt comfortable just talking about whatever and hanging out. The kids did the same. Ashlyn loved Ayana and MiKayla. They were so nice to her and they just had so much fun. Zeke and Josh mostly played on their own but by the end of the day they started kind of playing together. Zeke is the cutest little guy with a very cute personality. He is the first boy Josh's age that didn't run the other way when he saw Josh. Josh usually scares other kids away. As for Heather's baby Kingston. He is one of the cutest babies I have ever scene.

All in all it was a really fun day. I was so happy to meet Heather's beautiful children and get caught up with her. Ashlyn enjoyed having some fun friends to play with and really loved that fact that Ayana looked like her. That is so important to her. She has already asked me when they are coming again. Thanks Heather for coming and I can't wait for the next time we get together!

5 comments:

Julie said...

That is really cool! I love good reunions and the kids look way happy. I only had 1 problem with it....first of all I saw you at the store the other day and you left so quickly I figured you didn't see me...I guess I was wrong. And secondly, I am a jerk...I have never come to visit you at your house. I am so rude! In all honesty, I love that you two found eachother again. Very Cool!!

Heather said...

Thanks so much for your kind comments on your post. We loved coming to your home. It was so nice to see you and catch up. I can't wait to do it again really soon. I agree with you, I try to avoid people from school, which isn't hard because I don't see too many people. But it has been really nice to have my friend back and some more good news, Julia Barnum and I are now talking and catching up too. So thanks for that too Nat. Your friendship back then meant more to me than you know and our renewed friendship comes at a time when I need it more than ever:)

Toby and Emily said...

It is so much fun to catch up with old friends and blogs are a really easy and convenient way to keep up on each others' lives. I'm so glad you reconnected with someone who meant something to you!

Julia said...

Yeah for finding Heather again!! Are we too old for toilet papering? Cruising State Street? Prank calling? Slumber parties (minus the slumbering part)? I think we might have to switch gears and do play dates with our 8 collective kids. That would be how many potential diaper changes during a two hour play date? Yikes.

{Quellie} said...

I hope you wouldn't avoid me in the supermarket!! Isn't it fun to catch up with old friends?! Speaking of which...do you ever talk to Kami that we worked with? I started wondering about her after reading this. Hope you are doing well!