Friday, August 29, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten




Sunday night Ashlyn picked out her outfit for school. She brushed her teethe, picked out her outfit she was going to wear, said her prayers, and went to bed. Ashlyn arose quite early the next morning, probably 7:30 and had a big grin on her face.

She came in our room and was so excited that it was her first day of school. She wanted to put her clothes on right then so that she could go to school but I made her wait until after breakfast. For breakfast she wanted to have pancakes and bacon. She ate all of her bacon and some pancakes. I said that she could then get dressed and ready for school.

For her first day she wore her new pink polo shirt, some shorts, and some pink underwear to match her outfit. She left her brand new shoes at her cousins house in Tooele so she had to wear her older but still new looking shoes. I thought it was going to be quite dramatic but she did not have a fit at all.

I decided I should look at what time school started because I thought it was 9:30 and I just wanted to be sure. Sure enough it started at 9:15 so I said wow we need to get moving. I hurried at took some pictures of her and we headed off to school.

As we arrived I could see the excitement in Ashlyn's eyes. She was so proud of herself and she felt so big now. We got out of the car and my tears began. I was crying like a baby. I don't know why I was crying but I think it's a combination of how proud of her I was and that my first little baby is going to school. We walked to the front doors and there were some sixth graders there to greet her and take her to her teacher. So I handed her off and cried some more.

I had to go inside the school to drop off Ashlyn's asthma medicine so I walked in right behind her. I was still crying and was so embarrassed because people from my ward were there and they saw me. I saw my friend so I went and stood by her. I knew she would not care that I was crying. I had to get composure before walking in the office.

We watched as the kindergartners all lined up in their classes and I watched for like five minutes and Ashlyn never showed up. I then decided I should go find where the crap she went. I went back to the front and found the little 6th grader had no clue what she was doing and Ash was just sitting there waiting to go somewhere. I grabbed her and took her to her teacher and said goodbye again. This time I was laughing because of how retarded the sixth grader was. I told her that Ashlyn was in Ms. Cruz's class and from the door to the hall which is like 10 seconds the girl totally had forgotten what teacher she had.

I then left and got in the car. I started crying again. I am the biggest baby ever. I sat at home waiting to go pick her up. I was so excited to hear how her first day was. I arrived at the school a few minutes early and waited for her to come out. First off they let the kids that ride the bus out. Then the other kids came out and of course Ashlyn is the last one out. She is always so slow. I was expecting her to run up and give me a big hug but instead she ran up to me with a smile and then started to moan in frustration with me.


We got in the car and I asked her how her day was. She started to cry and said I don't remember. So I asked did you meet any friends? Did you color? What did you do. She said Maybe we will talk about it tomorrow. She was just plain mad. I said if I take you to McDonald's for lunch will you tell me. She said maybe. So I took her for a happy meal. After that I asked her what she did and she said we will talk about it tomorrow okay. I finally took the hint and quit asking.

At about 4:00 that afternoon she said to me "I didn't get to ride the bus like all the other kids". She was disgusted with me that I did not let her. I said is that why you are not talking to me. She said yes. I said okay that is fine. I will make a deal with you. I will take you to school everyday and you can ride the bus home each day. I figured it was a good compromise. She agreed and was happy after that. She told me about her day and loved school.

The next day Mark and I picked her up from the bus stop. She had the cheesiest grin on her face just like the one when I dropped her off on the first day. She felt so old and proud of herself. She loved the bus. She did say it made her head spin a little. Anyhow I am very proud of Ashy and how big of a girl she is. Josh misses her while she is gone and says Bus home all day until it comes and we pick her up.

5 comments:

Julia said...

Nat,

Oh, I feel your pain! Noah starts Tuesday and I have had a few crying fits already. He's preapred for me to "rumbaress" him with tears on his first day.

I'm glad she loves school! She looks so old!

Toby and Emily said...

The first time I dropped off Tysen I had to go to work right after and I shut my office door so no one could hear the sobbing. I totally understand and you're completerly normal! Either that or we're both weird - I'm good with that too though. She'll have a great year!

Anonymous said...

Oh Natalie. I knew you would cry. I love the photos. What a beautiful little girl. I too cried on the first day of school...4th grade!

Jaime said...

I'm glad she finally confessed what was wrong, ha ha. That's awesome. She's so cute.

I bawled the night before B's first day this year. It's so hard!

Mandy said...

I know how you feel, I didn't want to send Ethan back this year. I like having him home and so does Livy, she asks about him all day. Don't worry, I'm sure you weren't the only other mom there crying! I can't believe she is in kindergarten though. So weird!